Sunday, October 5, 2008

3 months and counting....

In exactly three months, today will be my first day back to work. Now granted I will have had nearly 15 months off, but that's not going to make it any easier. It's frustrating to me that I can't seem to push this "countdown" out of my head. I certainly don't want to keep track of it and lose any of the daily joys, but it's there nonetheless. I know I've been so incredibly blessed to be home with Addison for this long. I really do know this. Even if I have to work for the rest of my life, I will never quit praising God for this time I've had with her. But I just don't know how to prepare myself to suddenly be away from her. Again, I'm fortunate because my day as a teacher is shorter than many. That doesn't mean my workload is less; just that I can pick Addison up earlier and then finish my work after she's in bed. I feel like I've found a terrific routine - I go to StrollerFit in the mornings, have my quiet time while Addison naps, and then can play with her in the afternoon and be ready for Jeff in the evening. I absolutely love my life right now. I've never felt this joyful or been so overwhelmed with gratitude. I feel like I see the world with new eyes each and every day. But I'm scared of my outlook souring when I return to work. Afraid of all I'll be missing out on with Addison. Afraid I'll quit making my quiet time a priority and almost certain I'll have nothing to give Jeff once Addison is in bed. I know it's easy to picture the worst-case scenario and I pray I'll be able to make it better than what I'm imagining. I never knew how much I would love being a mom. I thought I was going to have this baby and head back to work a short time later. That was the plan. But God, in His infinite wisdom, had something different in mind. The way things happened that allowed me this opportunity could never have been predicted. The events that transpired were clearly orchestrated by Him. I finally feel like I've discovered one of the most important reasons I was created. So I'm just going to keep praying that I continue to find myself exactly where He wants me to be. He hasn't led me astray me yet.

8 comments:

Courtney and the Boys said...

Oh, Shannon. God DOES have a plan for you and how wonderful that you've gotten to experience these first months of Addison's life right next to her! Enjoy each day as it comes. I know that's hard to do...I felt the same when in a sense when I knew my mom only had a few months left to live, but we tried each day to enjoy every second we had together. And we truly did just that. God blessed us with that time together, just as he will with you and Addison before you return to work. Hang in there!

Shannon said...

Beautifully put and needed to hear it myself!! I'll be praying for you and hope you continue to enjoy the blessings God is giving you each day!! You are a blessing!!

Alyssa said...

Whew, talk about an update! I kept thinking, "maybe this will be the last post...." as I kept on reading and my children were clamering loudly from the kitchen wanting their dinner.

I couldn't turn away!

I am so glad you supplied some more pics of precious Addison!

I miss you too! I'm going to try to call when I get my kids eating dinner.

Come on, MOPS! It can't come soon enough!

E said...

Oh sweetie, I don't even know where to start. As you very well know I am back to work and even though it's part-time, I cannot keep up. As I was reading about your days I was reflecting back on my leave and thinking yes, that is how it was and it is so different now. I'm not telling you this to depress you, but that we need to figure this out. God does have a plan and we need to pray and LISTEN for what that plan is. I don't know about you but I think I've been so busy being busy and praying that I forgot to listen. This story is to be continued...

Christine said...

So well said and completely understood. As I sit here with my precious 10 day old Arlie in my arms, I can glimpse what is yet to come for me when I go back to work. We will find our way together. I am here for you!!

Courtney and the Boys said...

Shannon...I tagged you on my blog...head on over and check it out! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you tonight! I had a blast. I don't have a lot of wisdom here, but know that I will be praying!!!

, said...

Hi Shannon! Wow, is she really standing now? She has grown up so much and she is so cute! I hope you are doing well. I miss seeing you and all the other ladies at MOPS. :) Love, Becky Vang